Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Celebrtion

     Have you even been to Mass at 5 a.m.? How about to Mass at 5 a.m. for nine days straight leading up to Christmas? Well on December 15 the countdown till Christmas began in Humacao, PR with their Misas  de Aguinaldos that take place in different masses around the area and take place at 5 a.m. Though these masses are celebrated before sun rise they are very traditional, have a high turnout rate, and play very up beat music. Aguinaldo means to give or a gift, so close to the end of every mass a member of the choir group sings a solo as a gift for everyone present. After the mass, a group of people set up a table with sandwiches, fruit, bread, coffee, water and juice as a gift for everyone who attended.  I must admit that I am not a big fan of waking up at 4 a.m. but I did make an effort to attend the last two Misas de Aguinaldos. For the first one, I practically rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth, put my hair in a bun, drank some coffee and went to mass still half asleep. As soon as I walked in I noticed that everyone was well dressed, fully awake and singing very loud and proud. I was a bit shocked when I saw how many people were present and at how well they were dressed. I guess I thought that because mass was at an unpleasant hour people were going to roll out of bed and go just like me, but I was wrong. Any how, I was upset at how under dressed I was for about a minute before I forgot about it and joined everyone in singing. The mass was beautiful. Everyone was so awake and happy to be there and celebrating the anticipation of Jesus that I couldn't help to be excited myself. I made an effort to clear my heart (and head) of all grudges, guilty thoughts, sad memories, regrets and unhappiness in order to receive Jesus with an open and clean heart. I was excited for Jesus' Birthday!The second mass I attended was on Christmas Eve and it was just as enjoyable as the first one.
     Then for Visperas (evening prayer) on Christmas Eve the sisters who live in Santa Escolastica prepared something special for Ashley and I. I got to dress up as an Angel while S. Myriam read the story when the Angel appeared to Mary and Ashley placed baby Jesus next to Mary and Joseph. After prayers, we sang our way into the Prioress' living room and we all sat down. S Carmen gave all the sisters, Ashley and I a Christmas gift for us to open. This was different because normally the sisters wait till January 6, the day of The Three Kings to give and open any presents. After we opened our gifts, Ashley and I gave the Sisters the gifts we bought for them. We bought them a nativity set made with sea shells, a nativity set made on a star that they can hang on the wall, a nativity set with magnets that they can put on the fridge and the cutest gift: a picture of the community dogs with reindeer lanterns and us wearing elf hats. They really enjoyed all their gifts. They were so excited that we were able to place lanterns on the dogs but we explained that that wouldn't of been possible without the help of S Rufina because one of the dogs: Luna is vicious. I am not sure if it's me or the dog but after 4 months of living in the monastery I still have not been able to pet that dog.
     On Christmas day, we all had a lunch together and enjoyed each other's company. We talked and laughed just like any other lunch or dinner. Then around 3 p.m. S Vivian told Ashley and I to join her along with S Maria, S Mary Ruth, and Paul (S Mary Ruth's brother) as they went on a Parranda. A parranda is when a group of people go from house to house singing and the host of the house offers the group something to eat or/and drink in return. We went to three house and were fed at all three. The first house was the house of a man who used to be in the choir group with the sisters and he is now battling  Parkinson's disease. His wife offered us snacks and something to drink after we were done but since Ashley and I were still full from lunch we both declined the offer. S Vivian told us that it was rude not to accept so we ate something. The second stop was at Yvonne and Caesar's house and they fed us too. My stomach was hurting by then but I really needed the coffee by then because I was worn out and it was only  about 6 p.m and we still had one more stop. Finally we went to one of S Vivian's sister's house.  We didn't sing at that house because they were playing their own music but we still stayed for a while and conversed with the family. All in all it was a long tiring but enjoyable day. They did such a great job in keeping me busy that I did not have time to feel homesick. It was a great experience and I loved the fact that they took our Christmas traditions and incorporated them to their new experience. That really made me feel loved, and appreciated. It is hard to always see the bright side of things but I was able to see the light there. I felt as if I was celebrating Christmas with family; just not the same side of the family that I am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment